November 19, 2021
Dear Raider Families,
We are fast approaching the time of the year when snow, ice and extreme cold may cause disruptions to our school schedule. We wanted to share information about what factors determine a “calamity day,” where school is canceled or delayed. We also wanted to share the various ways you will be notified of school closures.
What is a Calamity Day?
A calamity day is defined as: a school closure determined by the Superintendent for inclement weather or other public disastrous event. A calamity day is considered a non-instructional day. RCS’s Central Office will remain open during calamity days unless otherwise noted.
Monitoring Weather Conditions:
We closely monitor the weather forecast and have provided helpful links on our website (www.reyn.org
) for snow and extremely cold temperatures throughout the winter months. We also maintain communication with the local road crews and police, and drive neighborhoods.
When assessing the safety of the morning commute, our focus is on school transportation. Are the temperatures and wind chills causing a frost-bite risk for children waiting 15-30 minutes at school bus stops (generally approximately -10F degrees wind chill)? Can school bus drivers navigate their routes with proper traction and visibility? Is the timing of the weather event such that city crews will not have time to plow or treat main roads?
Closures vs. Delays
Whenever possible, the decision to close or delay school will be made the previous evening. However, announcements may be made as late as 6:00 a.m. depending on a variety of factors.
When Reynoldsburg City Schools CLOSE:
- All evening activities in the elementary and middle school buildings are cancelled.
- High school evening activities may take place depending on the weather throughout the day. Communication regarding such events will be made by relevant coaches or advisors.
- Preschool is cancelled.
- Transportation to Eastland-Fairfield Career Center is not provided.
- Community groups scheduled to use school facilities (e.g., Park and Rec, Scouts, etc.) will have their events cancelled.
When the Reynoldsburg City Schools DELAY:
- AM kindergarten is cancelled.
- AM preschool is cancelled.
- Eastland-Fairfield Career Center morning bus runs are cancelled.
Parents, you know your children best. If you are concerned for your children's safety getting to and from school or activities, we respect your right to keep them home.
When the decision to declare a calamity day is made, we use multiple avenues to communicate. As technology is not always fool-proof, we rely on several messaging channels to alert the community of any schedule changes. Those channels include:
- Notifying local television and radio stations
- Posting on social media: Instagram (@ReynSchools), Twitter (@ReynSchools), Facebook (@reynschools)
- Updating the website (www.reyn.org) and the REYN App
- Sending emails, texts and phone calls to families
If you are not sure if the correct contact information is in our system for you to be notified, please call your building secretary. In addition, check your email spam folders for any emails that do not go to your inbox.